Fenix – Humanitarian Legal Aid is a US non-profit organization and Greek MKO, federally registered with Greece’s Ministry of Migration and Asylum.
Our multidisciplinary team of lawyers, protection officers, legal assistants, translators, psychologists and experts from different academic backgrounds, provides legal aid, protection and psychosocial services to refugees and asylum seekers on Lesvos, while advocating for a more just and equitable asylum system.
About the role
Fenix's Advocacy Team uses case and field based information to carry out high quality advocacy efforts aimed at affecting policy, urging governments and institutions to honour their commitments, and raising awareness of the situation in Greece. Under the supervision of the Head of Advocacy and Strategy, the Advocacy Officer will support this team with our work towards a more just asylum system. The responsibilities will include;
- Managing the advocacy side of our social media and other communication channels, aimed at raising awareness of the situation of asylum seekers to a wider and diverse public
- Supporting with drafting press releases, statements, policy notes and reports on human, fundamental and procedural rights violations in Greece and Europe at large
- Supporting the drafting of strategic litigation submissions to international and European bodies, such as the European Court of Human Rights or UN bodies
- Participating in discussions and collaborations with non-governmental organisations relating to European and Greek asylum law
- Monitor developments in the context to identify new issues for advocacy efforts
- Collaborating with our Programs Team to ensure unity and balance in our communication
Fenix prides itself for always adapting to the changing context and needs, and tasks may change during the time of the agreement.
What we are looking for
- Academic background in Law or international relations; either as a graduated or advanced law student
- Experience in advocacy in the area of Human Rights, immigration or European law is a great asset
- Experience in communications is an asset
- Excellent creative, communication, and organisation skills
- Strong professional ethics
- A person who enjoys independent working, as well as being part of a team
- Ability to work under pressure and coordinate multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Good spoken command of French, Farsi/Dari, Arabic, Somali or Greek are a strong asset
- Good computer and software skills (previous experience working with Canva or Webflow is an asset)
We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace, and encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.
What we offer
- Being part of a team of professionals committed to justice
- Supervision from our Head of Advocacy and Strategy
- Training and development opportunities
- Access to mental health resources
- A one year agreement
- Housing and Living allowance
Fenix is committed to conducting our work with a high level of professionalism and ethical standards. Protecting the communities we work with and our staff from any deliberate or accidental harm is our highest priority. Fenix expects all staff to share this safeguarding commitment by following our Code of Conduct and Policies and attending safeguarding training.
12+ months, full-time
12 months, full-time
Start date: Immediately
Start date: Jun 06, 2023
Please submit your CV and motivation letter through the application procedure on our website, and select ‘Advocacy and Communications Officer - Lesvos’. We will be reviewing applications after the closing date.
In line with our safeguarding commitment, all offers are conditional on positive reference and background checks.