About the role
Fenix is hiring a Greek lawyer to join its Legal Team. Our clients need great advocates who demonstrate compassion, patience, and empathy in extremely trying circumstances.
Responsibilities will include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Develops cases and represents clients before the Asylum Service, the police and the Courts.
- Provides legal information and counselling.
- Supports Fenix international lawyers and protection officers through regular engagement with legal advice and caseassistance.
- Participate in Working Groups, Inter-Agency meetings, and support efforts of local advocacy and information-sharing withactors through meetings and referrals.
- Attends conferences and lectures and otherwise stays informed on current developments in immigration law and procedure.
- Participates in local advocacy and information-sharing with other non-profits through meetings and referrals.
- Communicates with authorities regarding updates on cases and procedures.
- Maintains records in compliance with reporting requirements of any and all grants or agreements.
- Performs other duties as required.
About Fenix Aid
Fenix – Humanitarian Legal Aid is a US non-profit organization and Greek MKO, federally registered with Greece’s Ministry of Migration and Asylum.
Our team of lawyers, protection officers, legal assistants, translators, psychologist and experts from different academic backgrounds, provides legal aid, protection and psychosocial services to refugees and asylum seekers on Lesvos, with the support of over 20 volunteers working remotely on translation, research, communication and fundraising.
What you’ll need
- Law Degree and registration with a Greek Bar Association.
- Minimum two years of relevant working experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Strong case management, legal research, and legal writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including communication skills and a proactive positive attitude.
- Knowledge of Greek asylum procedure and migration policies and/or human rights law is an asset.
- Ability to work with clients of a range of backgrounds, with sensitivity to culture, trauma history, age and othervulnerabilities.
- Ability to work both independently and in a group setting, and meet deadlines in a fast paced dynamic environment.
- Passion for human rights and social justice.
- Ability to work in an emergency setting and under pressure.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a self-starter who is passionate about our mission. The successful candidate must be an excellent communicator, a cooperative, respectful team player, present a professional image, and have the ability to multitask and prioritize in a constantly shifting environment. We are looking for someone who sees this position as more than a job – something closer to a calling or mission.
The successful candidate must be an excellent communicator, a cooperative, respectful team player, and have the ability to multitask and prioritize in a constantly shifting context.