Fenix – Humanitarian Legal Aid is a US non-profit organization and Greek MKO, federally registered with Greece’s Ministry of Migration and Asylum.
Our multidisciplinary team of lawyers, protection officers, legal assistants, translators, psychologists and experts from different academic backgrounds, provides legal aid, protection and psychosocial services to refugees and asylum seekers on Lesvos, while advocating for a more just and equitable asylum system.
About the role
Protection Coordinator is a role which includes completing organizational and management tasks to support the efforts of the protection team and Fenix as a whole. This role involves coordinating the services and structures of other protection actors and sub-working groups included in protection and disseminating this information to the protection team to ensure they are able to complete their roles, alongside supervision and oversight case management of the protection team on a regular basis. For more complex cases the coordinator may be involved in helping with casework.
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following:
- Maintain a strong protection analysis of issues and trends in the field, ensuring that clients’ safety, needs and wishes are paramount to assessments.
- Liaise with other actors and attend sub-working group meetings to ensure that all updates are received, and that Fenix’s information and updates are shared in the relevant places
- Write internal communication documents to inform protection team members of updates, actor changes and available services.
- Oversee and send all referrals written by protection team members
- Be the communication point for protection team members and other actors
- Supervise team members to ensure that their work is accurate and completed to a high standard in line with Fenix Standars of Practice
- Guide and train protection team members if and when needed
- Conduct regular analysis of procedures and practices and adjust if necessary
- Collaborate with the rest of the team to exchange information and ensure that Fenix programs are responding to the evolving needs of clients
- Attend Case management and other internal meetings on behalf of protection to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Work with Cultural Mediators in a way that is empowering to clients, but which is also maximizing the CM’s experience and knowledge.
What we are looking for
- Fluent in English, proficiency in Greek is a strong asset. Other languages are an asset (French, Arabic, Farsi/Dari)
- Professional experience or academic background in social work, social science or other relevant field will be considered as a strong advantage
- Experience of managing a team, including holding supervision sessions, is desirable
- Experience of working in a case holding setting would be an advantage
- Experience of community-based or community mobilization work in a humanitarian context is an asset
- Strong computer skills
- High professional ethics
- Positive and professional attitude, including ability to work in a team setting and under pressure
- Ability to conduct sessions with cultural mediators
All Fenix team members must comply with the values and principles outlined in Fenix's Code of Conduct and Policies.
Fenix is committed to conducting our work with a high level of professionalism and ethical standards. Protecting the communities we work with and our staff from any deliberate or accidental harm is our highest priority. Fenix expects all staff to share this safeguarding commitment by following our Code of Conduct and Policies and attending safeguarding training.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and references and background checks will be requested before extending an offer.