About the role
We are looking for an independent, adaptable and responsible individual who is willing to work in a very demanding and dynamic work environment. Our clients need great advocates who demonstrate compassion, patience, hard work and empathy in extremely trying circumstances. The successful candidate must be an excellent communicator, a cooperative, respectful team player, and have the ability to multitask and prioritize in a constantly shifting context. Under supervision of the Protection Coordinator and in close coordination with other Mental Health and Legal Team colleagues, and other relevant actors in Greece, the Protection Officer will support the implementation of Fenix’s protection objectives and activities.
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Maintain a strong protection analysis of issues and trends in the field, ensuring that clients’ safety, needs and wishes are paramount to assessments
- Conduct vulnerability assessments, so as to identify social, legal, psychosocial, mental health, socio-economic and administrative needs of the clients and/or support related exercises
- Compile referrals to other actors, where necessary, to refer clients to services available on Lesvos and the mainland if appropriate
- Advocate for and support clients to access services and attend appointments
- Maintain an over sight of services provided and available to clients with whom the protection team isworking in the area of deployment
- Collect and compile documentation to support the clients’ case (both protection and legal),ensuring that documentation is translated, scanned and uploaded appropriately
- Ensure that information gathered is formatted, uploaded and presented as per the system requirements
- Collaborate with the rest of the team to exchange information and ensure that Fenix programs are responding to the evolving needs of refugees
- Liaising other actors
- Attend the protection groups in Athens
- Support with the logistics of the Athens office
- Work with Cultural Mediators in a way that is empowering to clients, but which is also maximizing the CM’s experience and knowledge
Fenix – Humanitarian Legal Aid is a US non-profit organization and Greek MKO, federally registered with Greece’s Ministry of Migration and Asylum.
Our multidisciplinary team of lawyers, protection officers, legal assistants, translators, psychologists and experts from different academic backgrounds, provides legal aid, protection and psychosocial services to refugees and asylum seekers on Lesvos, while advocating for a more just and equitable asylum system.