About the role
Under the direct supervision of the Interview Preparation Coordinator and Legal team Coordinator, the lawyer will provide legal counselling to clients and assist them in the asylum interview preparation.
Responsibilities will include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Apply technical knowledge and skills to implement and/or assist in the delivery of emergency legal assistance.
- Develop work plans in coordination with the Legal, Protection and Mental Health and Psychosocial supportteam.
- Advise individual clients of options and rights they have in Europe.
- Maintain and manage individual case files and ensure that information gathered is formatted and uploaded tothe electronic database, following applicable policies and procedures.
- Advocate on behalf of clients and make direct interventions with local authorities, other filed actors andinternational organizations if necessary.
- Refer potential clients to other agencies offering the assistance they require.
- Advise/Counsel clients of the available options to solve their particular legal problems and makerecommendations on the best actions to take.
- Under the direction of the Legal Team Coordinator, prepare and submit detailed reports on cases, and followup as necessary.
- Collaborate in close contact with the Legal Assistants, Cultural Mediators and Protection Officers.
- All Fenix team members must comply with the values and principles outlined in the Fenix code of conductand Policies.
About Fenix Aid
Fenix – Humanitarian Legal Aid is a US non-profit organization and Greek MKO, federally registered with Greece’s Ministry of Migration and Asylum.
Our team of lawyers, protection officers, legal assistants, translators, psychologist and experts from different academic backgrounds, provides legal aid, protection and psychosocial services to refugees and asylum seekers on Lesvos, with the support of over 20 volunteers working remotely on translation, research, communication and fundraising.
Who we are looking for
The successful candidate must be an excellent communicator, a cooperative, respectful team player, and have the ability to multitask and prioritize in a constantly shifting context.